Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Healthy Hair is Happy Hair

About a year and a half ago I cut off 11inches of my hair for Locks of Love. It was something I had always wanted to do, but now I'm dying for long hair again. In order to grow my hair back out I'm trying to keep it as healthy as possible.

Here's what I'm doing to keep my hair healthy.

One. Say goodbye to the straightener and blowdryer.
I know it's a tough relationship to part with but, in order for healthy hair to happen it's necessary. It's common sense, how can applying that much heat be remotely healthy for your hair? If you must keep the hot tools around opt for a newer model blowdryer and learn to blowout your hair straight to skip the straightener.  (if I'm in a time crunch, I only use the cool feature on my blowdryer)

Two. Find the right brush for your hair.
According to Good House Keeping online when it comes to brushes, "Bristles are the key to preventing breakage".  Pick out a brush with soft bristles, that you will clean regularly. These soft bristled brushes lead to less breakage in your hair.

Three. Use healthy styling products.
Earlier this week I was really looking into investing in Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, it is $23 for a 4 oz bottle. Since I'm not blowdrying my hair I thought beachy waves would be a cute and easy style. After reading some reviews, I decided that the Surf Spray would be the last thing I should put in my hair. Apparently the product dries out your hair terribly. Ask your hairstylist for a list of healthy products for your hair type.

Four. Trim your hair often.
Everyone has heard the myth that the more you trim the faster your hair grows. It actually doesn't work this way, but getting rid of the dead-ends makes anyone's hair look a million times healthier.  Thinking about this, I'm due for a trim (hopefully Dom can fit my in during fall break).



End of freshman year, me and Dom after the big cut.

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment