Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Never-Ending Project

All last spring and into the summer I searched for the perfect college graduation gift for MG aka my boyfriend.  After much research and consideration, I decided a needlepoint belt was the ticket.  I couldn't just buy any needlepoint belt but one with an Alabama flag (MG loves flag belts and was lacking an Alabama one).

Unfortunately I was not able to find one to purchase, so I decided to make one myself! I though how hard could it be? In reality it's not a simple finish in a weekend project. After scouring the internet for all things needlepoint, I went ahead with my making the belt. I started on it the week before I moved back to college for rush thinking I would finish by September, boy was I wrong. Needlepoint is a simple task that takes a lot of time and patience. MG will probably not have his belt in his hands until after Christmas.

the current state of the belt
up-close dealing of the flag
One of my sweet friend's mom sent me a stack of needlepoint magazines that are waiting to be read on my desk (along with an issue of the National Journal MG left during his last visit)

In the end I would recommend a needlepoint project as a sweet gift as long as you have the patience and time. I also would recommend starting out with something a little less demanding than a belt, more like something along the lines of this. If don't have the time to do the needlepoint yourself, Tucker Blair has some great options as does Smathers and Branson. Contacting your local needlepoint shop is another option. 

p.s. If your in the Dallas area check out Needlepoint This! off Lovers. They ladies are SO nice and will help you with any size project!

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment